Monday, January 16, 2012

I Find That Very Pinteresting

Ahhh yes, I have become a Pinterest fan/follower/almost addict. There are some things I really like about this wonderful sight where I can find awesome things--well, I mean where other people have found awesome things for me, and all I have to do is "pin" them to an imaginary board (is it imaginary???) so I always know where they are. I have yet to score a direct pin. But, alas, maybe someday.

However like all good things there are pros and cons to this Pinteresting phenomenon. Here are a few I've found:

5 Great Things About Pinterest
1. Pinterest can spark your passion for God. Through pics and posters of great Scripture, you can find your heart renewed and excited about the things of God.
2. Pinterest can show you some great ways to show love to your spouse. I made a board simply called "Husband Love" and am filling it with things that remind me why I love my husband, things I can do or make to be sure I'm showing him that love.
3. Pinterest can help you better yourself as a parent. I love all the great ideas for activities, helps, tips, etc. that I'm finding that relate to parenting. Chore Charts, postive sayings, love notes, winter (summer, spring, fall) things to do with your kids. Get out of the rut and find some great ideas for free.
4. Pinterest can be a catalyst for bringing back the lost art of hospitality and entertaining. There are more than a bajillion ideas on how to have any kind of party, gathering, game night. . . .don't know what to do? Now you do.
5--Pinterest can motivate you to get healthy and fit. I have to admit, I get a little motivated by the slogans and sayings and Dr. Oz's list of foods you should have in your house. I'm eating a little better and moving a little more than I did before.


5 Not So Great Things About Pinterest

1. Pinterest can fool you into thinking you have passion for God. Pinning a page with a great scripture is not a substitute for digging into the treasure of God's Word and then living it out. Take Caution that you don't spend all your time "pinning", and find yourself stilling "pining" for the One who wants your heart most.
2. Pinterest can keep you from really loving your spouse. If what your man or woman really wants and needs is for you to spend some time with them-- like really talking or listening or going out sometime--Make sure you aren't spending those precious moments with a laptop pinning "How to Really Love Your Husband" pictures to a board. Reading about love and really loving ARE NOT the same thing. And one picture from someone else's life does not their life make. Yours either. Grass looking greener. . . .start taking care of your own yard.
3. Pinterest can mess up your head when it comes to being a parent. If you make the subtle mistake that a good parent is one who is doing all the stuff you see on Pinterest you are going to find yourself pinned to the wall, so to speak. You probably can't afford all the stuff you are pinning, and your kids don't need all the stuff you are pinning. Your kids need you, so turn off the computer and go play with your kids, oh, and read the Bible with them. Maybe you can share a verse you pinned!
4. Pinterest can actually keep you from entertaining. When you realize you don't have that many mason jars, and that fondant isn't really your friend, and that there is no way to keep up with the cyber Joneses who live, well who knows where they live but not down the block, you are likely to just forget having the real Joneses over. Besides who wants to have anyone over when you can just pin pictures about having people over. And then you won't have to clean your house or do the laundry.
5. Pinterest can motivate you to a false body image. As far I can tell, I'm seeing a lot of young (and older) women pinning pics of women who have been airbrushed and eating disordered to fame (I wanted to say "to death", which sadly is the truth, so I'm saying it anyway) . It's not real, it's not realistic, and it's not healthy.

So let's have fun, just be careful little eyes what you pin. . . .

No comments: